Freelance fundraising consultant
We are looking for a freelance fundraiser to help develop supporter fundraising materials and our supporter fundraising infrastructure. We recently commissioned a new supporter fundraising strategy which recommended supporter recruitment activities, developing and delivering new fundraising asks and implementing more frequent fundraising communications. We are looking for support primarily in writing and producing materials that will help to increase the frequency and quality of our supporter fundraising communications.
We are looking for someone to work with us on a consultancy basis over several months to build up our fundraising capacity.
About Debt Justice
Debt Justice (formerly Jubilee Debt Campaign) is a campaigning organisation working to end unjust debt and the poverty and inequality it perpetuates, in the UK and across the world. Through campaigning, community organising, activism and policy research, we build collective power with people most affected by harmful debts to demand a fair economy for all.
We are a small staff team of 11 people based in London and other parts of the UK. We do not have any dedicated fundraising staff but fundraising and fundraising support is done across a number of different roles in the organisation. In May 2022, we rebranded the organisation with a new name, Debt Justice, to better articulate and represent who we are and what we do in order to attract new supporters.
We are looking for a freelance fundraiser to help us develop the following:
- Develop a new welcome journey for supporters and work with our Digital Campaigner to set this up in Mailchimp (we are planning a large-scale recruitment campaign in Autumn 2022)
- Write up our fundraising supporter journeys, so we have a clear diagrammatic representation of what communications supporters receive at each point in their journey
- Develop and write a regular giving welcome pack and manage getting this designed and produced
- Manage the production of new materials to promote legacies. A specialist legacy copy writer will draft copy, but this will need to be developed into a designed leaflet and other materials
- Manage the production of our next supporter postal mailing – including working with staff, a designer, mailing house and printers to deliver this to deadline (Copy will be provided by staff)
- Update our standard thank you letters for supporter donations
- Develop a regular giving offer that we can promote by email and post throughout the year
- Help us develop our in-house capacity for being data driven in our fundraising planning and approach
- Help us develop a telemarketing programme
- Manage a recruitment campaign through Care2
- Write mailing for regular giving including developing a free book offer as an incentive
- Other similar tasks as agreed.
Background and experience:
We are looking for someone with a strong supporter fundraising background in individual giving. Ideally you will have experience in:
- The management, production and writing of a range of fundraising supporter content, including emails, leaflets, mailings and bespoke packs
- Setting up systems and using data to inform and develop a supporter fundraising programme
- Developing supporter journeys with both campaigning and fundraising content and asks
- Telemarketing campaigns to convert to regular giving
We are expecting the freelancer to start in September 2022, and we estimate the project deliverables will take around 20 working days (average working day as 7 hours). Timing can be discussed in further detail but there is flexibility on how these hours are worked.
If interested, please send your CV, a sample of your copywriting work (for example a fundraising email or letter) and a covering letter highlighting why you are suitable for this project to firstname.lastname@example.org by 9am on Monday 12 September. You may also wish to supply us with links to fundraising content or materials you have developed or written.
We will organise a brief conversation to discuss the project with shortlisted candidates shortly after the application deadline.
If you have any further questions about this terms of reference, please contact: email@example.com.