“Had a brilliant day… for a fantastic cause!”
“The Run was a fantastic experience!”
“One of the most amazing experiences of my life!”
(Past team members)
The Great North Run is the greatest mass-participation community and sporting event on earth and is watched live on BBC TV by tens of millions of people. Started in 1981, this year will see the one millionth runner complete the 13.1 mile (21.1km) course.
The Run takes place in Newcastle, and every year our Newcastle University group enters a team to raise money for the Jubilee Debt Campaign and the Stop Aids Campaign. This year, with the Run taking place just outside student term-time on 7 September, they’re opening it up for all Jubilee supporters to join the team.
The Run is not only a great way to raise vital funds for the fight against global poverty, but a very rewarding challenge in itself.
You don’t have to be an athlete to take part – it’s a ‘run’, not a ‘race’. Organiser and tireless campaigner David Golding completed the course “for the first and last time” in 2010 to celebrate his 70th birthday!
A huge variety of people take part in the Run, and the streets are lined with people cheering you on. Check out the pictures on the website and you’ll see what I mean – it’s a truly great experience.
Last year the team raised over £10,000 from the Run, bringing the total to over £152,000 over the last 11 years. That makes it one of the major funders of our campaign – which has so far resulted in over $130 billion of debt cancellation for 34 of the world’s most impoverished countries, freeing up vital funds for the battle against global poverty.
“Let me commend and applaud the tremendous work you are doing. Our country is an example of how international debt cancellation advocacy, such as yours, can truly move mountains. Thank you for all you do in. bringing debt relief for countries like ours.”
– Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf of Liberia, Africa’s first woman president
How to join our team
Places for the Great North Run are allocated by ballot. If you want to join our team, here’s what you need to do:
1. Enter the ballot by Wed 5 Feb
- Go to the Great North Run page on the Great North Run site
- Click ‘Enter Now’ and go through the registration process (“Register a new Great ID” etc)
- Under “Running for a charity”, scroll down to find “Other”. Choose that.
- The ballot is open until midday on Wednesday 5 February, so make sure you enter before then. You will be asked for your payment details for the registration fee – this will only be charged if you are successful in securing a place.
2. Let us know you’ve entered
- It’s very important you let us know you’ve entered the ballot, so we can make sure you join our team if you get a place. Please contact David Golding, email@example.com when you’ve entered AND AGAIN if you’re successful, so he can arrange for you to join our team
- Queries? Just email David: firstname.lastname@example.org or check out our FAQs about the Run.
Once you’ve entered the ballot, do pass this on to your friends. It’s more fun to train with others – and who knows, one of you could end up being the millionth runner!